MTI 572 SP: Fostering Resilient Learners: Creating a Student Sensitive Classroom
GRADUATE CREDITS: 3
Souers, K. Hall, P. Fostering Resilient Learners: Strategies for Creating a Trauma-Sensitive Classroom. ASCD. ISBN 978-1-4166-2107-2.
Fostering Resilient Learners: Strategies for Creating a Trauma-Sensitive Classroom will help teachers cultivate a trauma-sensitive learning environment for students across all content areas, grade levels, and educational settings. The authors—a mental health therapist and a veteran principal—provide proven, reliable strategies to help you:
- Understand what trauma is and how it hinders the learning, motivation, and success of all students in the classroom.
- Build strong relationships and create a safe space to enable students to learn at high levels.
- Adopt a strengths-based approach that leads you to recalibrate how you view destructive student behavior and to perceive what students need to break negative cycles.
- Head off frustration and burnout with essential self-care techniques that will help you and your students flourish.
Educators face the impact of trauma in the classroom every day. This book is a guide to seeking solutions rather than dwelling on problems, to building relationships that allow students to grow, thrive, and—most assuredly—learn at high levels.
At the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Articulate the effect of trauma on school children (physically and chemically); thus, altering their learning styles and preferences. InTASC 1,2,3,5,6
- Develop a framework for integrating trauma-sensitive strategies into traditional curriculum. InTASC 4,5,6,7,8
- Analyze pedagogical approaches for teaching students with a history of trauma. InTASC 1,3,5
- Identify the signs of trauma and detail the process for developing unit plans that address the traditional curriculum while cultivating strategies for creating a trauma-sensitive classroom. InTASC 1,3,9,10
Universities, Course Formats & Pricing
Available within 1 week of receiving your grade.
- 10 text questions
- 2 applications
- 1 action research project
- 1 essay
- 10 journal entries