MTI 519 SP: Introduction to Special Education: The Basics of Disabilities and IEP’s
GRADUATE CREDITS: 3
Stowe, Cynthia M. (2005). Understanding Special Education: A Helpful Handbook for Classroom Teachers. New York NY: Scholastic, Inc. ISBN# 978-0-439-56037-5
This course provides an overview of information for a variety of disabilities. We will study each disability in the following areas: definition of the disability, unique characteristics, curriculum needs which include subject matter suggestions, expectations, organization, and transitions, and social relationships with peers. Each disability is presented with several examples and real-life case studies. Finally, we will review the special education system. This section covers the eligibility process for identifying a student with a disability. The IEP section provides an overview of the various IEP sections, goal writing, and standardized testing options.
At the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify the 13 categories of disabilities that qualify students for special education services as outlined in IDEA, InTASC 4
- Gain an understanding of the unique characteristics of each disability, InTASC 5
- Support students with a variety of disabilities throughout the school experience including outside the classroom in the following areas: curriculum, social interactions, transitions, expectations, and structure and organization, InTASC 1, 3, 5, 7, 8
- Understand how to begin the eligibility process, InTASC 6
- Identify the main sections of an IEP, InTASC 7
- Write reports, goals and objectives for a student with an IEP, InTASC 7
- Know what to do if a student has an IEP and is still struggling, InTASC 7
Universities, Course Formats & Pricing
Available within 1 week of receiving your grade.
- 10 text questions
- 2 applications
- 1 action research project
- 1 essay
- 10 journal entries
Teachers Love Our Courses...
"Great Class! I really enjoyed the discussions and learning about valuable strategies to implement in my classroom."
"Great courses, great pricing. I have taken 3 so far and I wish I had found them sooner."
Earn CASH for Referring a new educator
Refer a new customer to us get 10% of their purchase in CASH!